Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jane and Gordon Martz



I purchased this Martz lamp last summer from the fine folks at Pegboard Modern. I had always admired these lamps and was happy to finally get one of my very own. I love the history of the Martzes being a Hoosier myself and try to learn as much as I can about any of the pieces I have collected. The beauty of vintage is that everything comes with a story. Whether it's the story of how you stumbled across it in a thrift store or on-line, the story of the wacky antique store dealer that sold you your treasure, the memory of a day when you and a friend were out antique shopping, or the history involved with the piece or it's brand. I also love collecting Haeger. It's been made in Illinois since 1871 and you can visit the actual Haeger Factory in East Dundee where they are still producing new pieces. The first time Mark and I went to there, we were waited on and given a quick tour by a member of the Haeger family. We arrived late and they stayed open a little longer so we could shop. I will always remember that day.

Back to the Martzes...
Gordon Martz and Jane Marshall met while they were students at the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred NY. In 1951, Jane and Gordon joined the Marshall Studios, a company founded by Jane's grandmother Jesse in 1922 and operated by the family including Jane's father Nicholas Marshall and her mother Grace, in Veedersburg, Indiana. Their talents were undeniable. Both had had intensive ceramics and design training at the college, and Gordon's interest in engineering principles had been nurtured there, as well. Jane had gone to school for the sole purpose of getting the design and ceramics training she would need to expand and carry on the family business. Meeting Gordon there was lucky... Jane had not only found a husband, but someone she could work with as a team to realize all her dreams, and more. At Alfred, both Gordon and Jane had become first-rate ceramists, so their contributions to Marshall Studios would center around what they knew and loved best. Their work was recognized by a design award from the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, which also has some of their work in its permanent collection.

Martz lamps are often available for sale at
http://www.pegboardmodern.com/

Read more about the Martzes here or click on the title of this post...
http://www.jetsetmodern.com/martz.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment