
We became the official owners of our 1969 ranch 5 years ago today. It's hard to believe that we did not own a digital camera 5 years ago but it's the sad truth. The 35MM shots I did take of the remodel in progress ended up ruined as the photo machine at Walgreens broke while developing my roll. Sigh. There were a few pics that were saved during that developing fiasco but the quality of them is pretty crappy. Mark and I had 1 year and 5 months to remodel this house before our wedding. Yes, we got married here in the backyard! We had the smallest budget and did everything we could possibly do ourselves...we let the professionals install the new pool liner but naturally Mark moved all the pre-existing pool equipment and did some prep work to cut down on the cost. Mark working in the granite/kitchen/bath industry is what really made any of this possible. He's a self taught carpenter with an art degree and was willing to take on an overwhelming project. Me, an interior design magazine junkie and fan of all thrifty-crafty projects, was also up for the challenge.
BEFORE...

We had no idea glued on velvet and foil wallpaper was hiding behind that peach striped panelling - surprise!

AFTER...


Mark and a few friends installed the hardwood floors here, in the dining room, and in the hallway. Some of the smoke damaged brick on the fireplace could not be saved so Mark designed and installed a solid slab granite piece and built a mantel with the clean bricks removed from the damaged half. We have a matching granite top on our floating sideboard in the dining room. I repaired drywall throughout the house and painted every room before we moved our furniture in which made things a whole lot easier.
BEFORE...

This was pre-privacy fence days that lasted about one year. The neighbors, while nice, were just a bit too close. yeah, that's me holding a Budweiser.
AFTER...

I hate that we have a TV in our dining room but Mark lives here too and we actually do live here like regular people. Mark drilled a small hole for the cable to run through so all the cords are on the other side of the wall (in our garage) and the TV is easily removeable when i need to use the sideboard as a buffet for dinner parties.
BEFORE...


AFTER...



All new appliances (except the dishwasher - it was fairly new and we couldn't see replacing it just because it wasn't stainless). Mark and his friends put in granite counter tops as a wedding surprise for me. While not my favorite cabinets, getting new cabinets was not in the budget so adding more of them and some new hardware was the way to go. I dream about getting new cabinet doors someday. Maybe someday. The microwave cabinet wall came as phase 2 of the kitchen remodel. We lived for 2 years with the microwave in a super awkward spot in the kitchen and then I came up with this plan for adding a functional microwave area on the wall across from the fridge.
BEFORE...

AFTER...



Now this is a bathroom!
BEFORE...

the look on my face is "we really bought this place, we are really doing this. really?" hey look - more dirty carpet!
AFTER...







BEFORE...

AFTER...
The smallest powder room in the world gets a makeover complete with vessel bowl sink made from an antique wooden bowl I bought in California back in 1997 and other pieces of wood and marble we had collected over the years. We installed a french door with frosted glass panels to let some light in from the connected room.
BEFORE...
AFTER...

Yes. This really is the same yard. A huge transformation!
Worst part of the remodel...
Removing that wallpaper was the hardest thing I have ever done. Truly the worst. The only thing missing from these photos is me laying on what became known as the back rejuvenator while my sciatica was in full flare up.

Mark insisted this picture be included to show how much fun I had tearing out the previous homeowners landscaping. I look like I'm about to punch Mark in the face for busting out the camera on me. Nice green chain link fence. I got the worst sunburn on my shoulders that day!! Look closely and you can see the pool was just a rusty hole.
this is AMAZING! You guys have done such a great job with your home. Can't wait to see what you do downstairs. Could you two come over and give us a pep talk? I feel really overwhelmed with our place. And you know what the biggest hurdle is at the moment? Finishing WALLPAPER REMOVAL! I'm crying just thinking about it:(
ReplyDeleteWow! What a ton of work - it looks so fab.
ReplyDeleteAll that beautiful marble and granite in the bathrooms and the dining room...nice! Gotta say that your coffee table is my fav - I've been looking for one like that for YEARS. Beautiful job!
Thank you for your kind words. It's been a labor of love for sure.
ReplyDeleteoijoy- I have sworn off wallpaper removal forever. I'm pretty sure I will re-drywall if I'm ever faced with this again. Or at least come up with a way to cover it with something else. I want to come over soon and sit in your sun spot with Dot! I need to get out of the basement!
Brick House - that coffee table was such a score from a giant antique mall in Indianapolis. It was really cheap, a little bit scratched, and came with a glass top. It's amazing what a new top can do - it was SO ugly with that glass top!! Nine years ago, my husband had access to a granite and marble fabrication shop so we were able to make a granite top for it - looks like marble except you can put your cocktail glass or beer on it WITHOUT a coaster! YAY!
Wow...just now getting through the archives...awesome job! That powder room, everything....way to go!
ReplyDelete