I think John was one of the best human beings I have ever known.
He had been battling Leukemia for almost a year now. In 2000, John was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Everyone thought it was the end however he made a full recovery after serious rounds of chemo. Deterioration of the ball-like top part of the upper leg bone which fits into the hip socket, called osteonecrosis of the capital femoral epiphysis, is a common problem among patients undergoing chemotherapy for leukemia or lymphoma. In 2007, the time came for Kark to have his hip replacement surgery. He came over several times a week to swim in our pool and recover from the surgery. I know there was plenty of floating on rafts and drinking beer that occurred on those visits but he really did do the therapeutic exercises which led to a super speedy recovery. Mark really captured the moment with the second picture posted here - and he calls this photo “Kark is #1”. John was in remission and completely healthy until he developed Acute Myeloid Leukemia in the Spring of 2009.
Some of you have had the pleasure of meeting him – he was the photographer at my wedding and the main force behind the parties at our house for Dark Lord Day. Mark and I have known him since High School and he will truly be missed. Lottie loved him so much that you can’t even say his name without her running to the window to see if his car’s in the driveway. Whenever I take photos of Lottie, I often say “John” so I can capture the look of excitement on her face before she runs to the window.
I went back and found that letter you referenced in your post - how totally inspiring. I'm sorry for your loss - he must have been a wonderful friend.
ReplyDeletexxoo
I think John was one of the best human beings I have ever known.
ReplyDeleteHe had been battling Leukemia for almost a year now. In 2000, John was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Everyone thought it was the end however he made a full recovery after serious rounds of chemo. Deterioration of the ball-like top part of the upper leg bone which fits into the hip socket, called osteonecrosis of the capital femoral epiphysis, is a common problem among patients undergoing chemotherapy for leukemia or lymphoma. In 2007, the time came for Kark to have his hip replacement surgery. He came over several times a week to swim in our pool and recover from the surgery. I know there was plenty of floating on rafts and drinking beer that occurred on those visits but he really did do the therapeutic exercises which led to a super speedy recovery. Mark really captured the moment with the second picture posted here - and he calls this photo “Kark is #1”.
John was in remission and completely healthy until he developed Acute Myeloid Leukemia in the Spring of 2009.
Some of you have had the pleasure of meeting him – he was the photographer at my wedding and the main force behind the parties at our house for Dark Lord Day. Mark and I have known him since High School and he will truly be missed. Lottie loved him so much that you can’t even say his name without her running to the window to see if his car’s in the driveway. Whenever I take photos of Lottie, I often say “John” so I can capture the look of excitement on her face before she runs to the window.