
AFTER

After 5 years of hatin' on that monster, the old and ugly AC unit gets hidden with some slatty goodness!! As you can see my attempt at hiding it with a potted foxtail fern didn't really fool anyone. The wood slats are threaded with a steel rod at the corners creating a hinge - allowing it to fold up when we have to store it in the winter. The ends of the steel rods also act as stakes going into the ground a few inches - this keeps it in place around the AC unit. This project was Mark's concept...I just did the nagging...and the constant pointing out of good wood slatty-ness. Thank you Mark!



refer to this post back in February for the AC unit in the winter snow
jump to the future to this post to see photos of the top
I love that! I have the same problem and we've discussed several options...this is a winner. Why does it go away in winter?
ReplyDeleteWood plus Indiana winter weather equals ugly wood that I have to sand and retreat in the Spring. I could try a waterproof sealer but that didn't work for the raised planter boxes. They still need a freshen up every Spring. I don't mind if the ugly AC unit is viewable December thru March. I don't shovel the snow back there so most of the winter you can't even get to that part of the yard.
ReplyDeletedid you use cedar 2x2s?
Deletethis looks fantastic! Great solution. Just found you through brick house! Hi!
ReplyDeleteI can't seem to figure out how you covered the top of the ac unit. It looks as if they are laid on top and maybe stapled on but I can't figure out how this is done especially since there are only three sides. Help me out because I'm really looking forward to making this.
ReplyDeletemaybe across the back, they ran one 1x1 so that the top slats have something to affix to.
DeleteThis A/C cover is the best I've seen anywhere. And it looks like it was easy to make and not that expensive for materials and look how fab it is! Ingenious!
ReplyDeleteyou should sell them on eatsy i would buy it in a minute!!!
ReplyDeleteYes would love to buy one as my hubs isn't as crafty.
ReplyDeleteYes would love to buy one as my hubs isn't as crafty.
ReplyDeleteYes would love to buy one as my hubs isn't as crafty.
ReplyDeleteAm designing a camoflauge cover for a heat pump for a historic train station. You've given me a great idea. Just need to make sure the slats are open enough not to impede AIRFLOW at the outdoor section, that would KILL the efficiency that we pay big bucks for.
ReplyDeleteHi. Is there more of a step by step for this? Wondering about the rods. Thanks
ReplyDeleteIs there a tutorial/plans that I'm missing?
ReplyDeleteDo you have a step by step plan for the AC cover? It is amazing!
ReplyDeleteCould you explain a little more detailed?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the inspiration. I used your idea to make a screen for my sprinkler valves and water equipment! Staining it was the hardest part!
ReplyDeleteHello; do you think you can leave in place for the winter ? will the AC work without problem ?
ReplyDelete