Monday, November 22, 2010

great gifts under $20

A few years ago I came up with the "I'd only like gifts that I can eat or drink" rule for my relatives. I just have no need for lots of extra stuff. Example... I do NOT want a pair of stuffed animal-like Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus dolls. You have these relatives too - you know what I'm talking about.

I try to be a good gift giver. Not only are these gift ideas incredibly affordable but also useful and some are even drinkable!



Tea towels.

I like these towels from Skinny laMinx pictured here (about $16 each when you include the shipping). They have a super vintage look yet are brand new and ready to get stained by that one guy you know. That's right, we actually use the tea towels at my house. They are not just for looking!
also available on-line here



Beer.

A $10 bottle of a tasty microbrew is always a good gift! Or one of those pricey $15 4-packs. I'm thinking about making a big batch of my famous cheese ale dip, splitting it up into small cute reusable containers, and giving it out with fancy beer. You can act surprised when you get my present.



Rainforest candle refil ($12) and get something unique to put it in... could be a small bowl, a vintage tea cup, there are endless possibilities! Are you a scented candle-phobe? Me too! Trust me, this one does not stink and make you feel sick. It smells natural and amazing.



The BlockDock for the iPad ($12.95). Simple, stylish, useful = awesome!




For those on your list taking showers and baths, which is basically everyone, here are two great products that can be used as a shower cleanser or bubble bath with scents that work for both ladies and mountain men...


Spa Sea Salt Body Wash
$16 (12.5 oz bottle)



Grapefruit Bath and Shower Liquid Body Cleanser
$16 (8.4 oz bottle)



GET CRAFTY and give the gift of warmth!
If you can knit and you know your friend's favorite color - the gift of a handmade scarf is a big winner. When you live in the Midwest, you really cannot have enough scarves. And knowing that someone made something just for you is priceless.



Wine. Sort of a no brainer and not all that creative yet ALWAYS a welcomed gift by most people I know. And there are so many great ones in the $10-$20 range. I think the key is to give a bottle of something you've tried and liked. If you're in Chicagoland, you'll want to hit the Wine Discount Center.



If you've got a stylish baker on your list, this is a slightly indulgent stocking stuffer but oh so nice...

teak measuring spoons ($20) from Merchant no. 4

1 comment:

  1. Those spoons!

    I like all your ideas. I can't believe it's time to start DOING all that shopping already.

    Hm. I need to start looking at the calendar to plan yr next jaunt here...

    ReplyDelete