Tuesday, January 16, 2018

plant photo: 016



pencil cactus (euphorbia tirucalli)

The pencil cactus is actually a Euphorbia tirucalli, thus making it a succulent as opposed to a true cactus. In nature, it grows as a 30-foot tall, leafless tree with pencil-size green branches that function in photosynthesis. Tiny leaves appear at the ends of new branches when new growth occurs, but they quickly fall.

One of the common names for this Euphorbia is Milkbush.  Like all members of the Euphorbia family, milkbush produces the familiar white latex when the stem is cut.  Yep, this milky sap is poisonous so do not lick it or get any of it in your eyes.  And obviously do not let your dogs and cats eat this plant either.   I have made several cuttings and done plenty of pruning without any trouble getting poisoned.  It must be that thing called common sense working for me.

I have more pencil cacti than any other plant.  Some are so big that they almost touch the ceiling.  I'm addicted.  These 2 pictured here are cuttings I made recently from one of my jumbo plants so I can grow even more stick-like little beauties!   The center plant is a different species... more on that guy later.

No comments:

Post a Comment